The Buxa Tiger Reserve is a wide expanse of the 760-kilometre square in the Indo-Gangetic plains, located in the Alipurduar district of the northern part of West Bengal. Buxa Tiger Reserve is bordered by the Himalayas and Bhutan in the north.
Best Time to visit
October to April is the Best Time.
How to reach
Take a train from Howrah to Alipurduar Junction. From there, use a taxi to move to Rajabhatkawa at 15 kilometres from the reserve. NH 31 is the fastest way to get to the reserve.
Buxa Tiger Reserve was created in 1983 and turned into a sanctuary in 1992. It derives its name from the adjacent “Buxa formation” in Manley village of Namchi, the capital of the South Sikkim district. The Phibsoo Wildlife Sanctuary of Bhutan is adjacent, and Manas National Park is in the east. To the south-west, Chilapata forests allow the Jaldapara Wildlife sanctuary.
Main Tourist attraction
Clouded and Indian Leopard, Asian elephants, Gaur, Sambha deer.
How to go around in the park
There are four trekking routes.
- The trek begins at Santalabari and takes 1 hour fifteen minutes.
- A 4-kilometre trek to Rovers’ Point/Romitey Dara (the land of heavenly birds).
- Take the 13 km trek for Jayanti via Mahakal Cave, a stalactite-stalagmite cave, check for permissions.
- The Pagsamkha Path trek route, from Buxa fort, Buxaduar via Aadma to Raimatung.
What do you watch for in the waters?
Some are endangered species and live here like it’s their home. The reserve is rich in fauna, and Sal trees are predominant.
- Bengal tiger,
- Golden/spotted Asiatic golden cats
- Clouded Leopard,
- Gigantic squirrels
- Normal Leopard,
- Wild boar
- Royal python
- Chinese pangolin
- Hog deer
- Various vulture species
- Great hornbill
Historical Significance of Buxa Tiger Reserve
This is the 15th Tiger Reserve of the country. Visit the Mahakaleshwar Jyotirlinga and the Buxa fort. Buxa fort has a rich history to explore. Around 10000 devotees’ throng to the Jyotirlinga on the occasion of Shiv Chaturdashi.
Find out about this amazing place where once you might be capable of finding that small piece of solace that unravels when you look eye-to-eye with the different species that home here.
Day 1: Arrival at New Jalpaiguri and transfer to Buxa, 165 Kms in 4 hrs
Arrival at NJP rail station. You will be received by our executive and helped in boarding awaiting vehicle. We will drive you through some of the most pristine landscape, including undulating tea gardens and forests with intermittent small towns and villages.
The forests of Buxa, with an area of 760 sq kms consists of many animals and birds. Check-in at Hotel. Free Evening. Overnight at Rajabhatkhawa.
Day 2: Full day sightseeing inside the forest. Morning visit to Jayanti
After breakfast, visit Jayanti, a 15 km drive through the woods to a small village besides Jayanti river on the Indo-Bhutan border. The place offers excellent scenic beauty.
Optional Tours: Trek to Pukhuri Hill from Jayanti. It is a 45-minute walk through Saal forest to the hilltop with a large pond. The pond is considered sacred by the local, and the area is rich in flora and fauna. You must higher a govt. Approved guide at Jayanti to visit Pukhuri hill.
Trip to Santalabari. From Jayanti, you will be taken to Santalabari, about 15 kms away. This is the starting point for treks to Buxa fort. Depending upon your physical ability, you may trek to the defence, which is about 4.5 kms (approximately 1.5 hours one way). Buxa fort offers significant historical value as well as natural beauty. Return to your resort at Rajabhatkhawa in the evening. Overnight at Rajabhatkhawa.
Optional Tours: Depending on the time available, you may also visit the nature interpretation centre located at Rajabhatkhawa.
Day 3: Drive to New Jalpaiguri / Bagdogra for onward / return journey
Morning free for packing. Return to NJP / Bagdogra in 4 hrs approx (about 165 kms). Our car will transfer you to the rail station / Airport. Tour Ends.
- After confirmation of any Package request: 50% of tour package cost required immediately to book all the respective services.
- 07 days prior to arrival date: 100% of tour package cost required.
- All payments must be notified by e-mail format only with attached transaction details.
- Payment terms are subject to change at the time of booking as per Hotel Policy and High Season.
- We will not entertain any credit facility.
- All cancellations must be made in e-mail format only.
- Any cancellation at 45 Days prior to arrival date – No charge
- Any cancellation between 45 Days – 30 Days prior to arrival date: 25% of tour fare charge
- Any cancellation between 30 Days – 15 Days prior to arrival date: 50% of tour fare charge
- Any cancellation between 15 Days – 10 Days prior to arrival date: 75% of tour fare charge
- Any cancellation less than 10 Days: 100% of tour fare charge.