Tarapith is a temple town in the Birbhum district of West Bengal. It is one of the major Hindu pilgrimage centres.
According to Hindu mythology, tarapith is a spot where Sati’s eyeball fell when Lord Vishnu used his Sudarshan Chakra to Stop Lord Shiva to destroy all creation. In Bengali, the eyeball is called Tara, so the place’s name changed from Chandipur to tarapith. There is a total of 51 spots where it believed that the different parts of the body of Sati fall. These spots are called Pithas or Shakti Pithas. Kalighat, Tarapith & Bakreshwar are three Pithas in West Bengal.
Many Spiritual Leaders of West Bengal came here to worship and attained their divinity by meditation at Tarapith. Saint Bashistha, Saint Bamakshyapa and Saint Kamalkanta are prominent among them. Devotees still sing songs composed by Kamalkanta of Maa Tarapith in numbers.
The original and old temple of tara maa is damaged—the current temple built by Jagannath Ray of Mallarpur Village in 1225 with eight roofs.
The wall of the temple carved with Maa Durga and her family on the main gate. The left wall engraved with the war of Kurukshetra, and the right fence depicted with stories of Ramayana
How to reach:
This destination is well connected by Railway/road. If you are coming from Siuri, you have to take a right just before Rampurhat and travel around 11 km to reach this destination.
You can also travel along the Panagarh-Morgram expressway.
Rampurhat is the nearest Railway Station, about 12 kilometres from here. There is a smaller railway station named tarapith road about 5 kilometres from the temple too.
One usually has to get to Tarapith in a hired car/ taxi/ bus. After that, it is a small town, and one can walk around. Cycle rickshaws are also available.
Day 1: TARAPITH
ARRIVE TARAPITH AT EARLY MORNING TEMPLE VISIT AND PUJA THEN SIGHTSEEING AT MASSANJORE THEN TRANSFER TO BAKRWESWAR
Day 2: BAKRWESWAR
BARKWESWAR TEMPLE AND HOT SPRING BATH AFTERNOON TRANSFER TO SHANTINIKAN AND NIGHT STAY
Day 3 : SHANTINIKETAN & KANKALI TALA
SHANTINIKETAN AND KANKALI TALA TEMPLE VISIT UPTO 4 PM AND THEN TRANSFER TO KOLKATA
- After confirmation of any Package request: 50% of tour package cost required immediately to book all the respective services.
- 07 days prior to arrival date: 100% of tour package cost required.
- All payments must be notified by e-mail format only with attached transaction details.
- Payment terms are subject to change at the time of booking as per Hotel Policy and High Season.
- We will not entertain any credit facility.
- All cancellations must be made in e-mail format only.
- Any cancellation at 45 Days prior to arrival date – No charge
- Any cancellation between 45 Days – 30 Days prior to arrival date: 25% of tour fare charge
- Any cancellation between 30 Days – 15 Days prior to arrival date: 50% of tour fare charge
- Any cancellation between 15 Days – 10 Days prior to arrival date: 75% of tour fare charge
- Any cancellation less than 10 Days: 100% of tour fare charge.